WHO WE ARE
This website (“Site”) is operated by the UHNW Institute (“UHNWI”, “us,” “we,” and “our”). UHNWI is a non-profit and independent publisher and curator of exceptional thought leadership and content relating to Ultra-High Net Worth families, family offices, their advisors, and the industry.
HOW WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect your personal information when you provide it to us directly. We may collect information when you:
• fill in a form, email us or make a call to us
• sign up to be a member of UHNWI
• create an account with us
• contact us through social media platforms
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you subscribe to our newsletter, send us an email, submit your personal details through our contact form, create an account or apply for a membership, or otherwise provide your personal details you consent to the collection, use, and retention of your personal information as explained in this Privacy Notice.
Personal information that we collect from you may include:
• email address
• physical address
• zip code
• phone number/fax number
• other contact details
• password for an account created on our Site
Personal information we collect automatically using cookies and other tracking technologies may include:
• details of your visit to our Site or details in relation to your telephone call (for example, time and duration)
• your use of our Site (for example, the webpages you visit, the previous webpage you visited, and the webpage you visit next, search terms, and links clicked)
• your device (for example, your IP address, unique device identifier, or location data)
THE PURPOSES FOR WHICH WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
AND THE LEGAL BASIS WE RELY ON
Depending on how you use our Site, your interactions with us, and the reasons for which you provide your information, we may use your personal information for the following purposes:
• to provide you with press releases, e-mail alerts, newsletters, and other content
• to respond to your enquiries and communicate with you about your account
• to personalise our products and services
• to provide access to online services (programs, forums, message boards, social media)
• to provide and maintain our Site, including to monitor the usage of our Site
• to improve our Site and analyze our activities
• to manage your account and registration as a user of our Site
• to perform the terms of our contract
• to contact you by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication
• to provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services, activities, and events we offer that are similar to those you have already participated in, purchased or enquired about unless you have opted not to receive such information
• to attend to and manage your requests that you send to us
• to evaluate or conduct a transfer of assets
• to administer your accounts, correspond with you, and other general administration and troubleshooting
• for other purposes that you will be notified of, or that will be clear from the context, when information about you is first collected
• to comply with applicable laws
Our legal basis for processing your personal information is one of the following:
• to perform in terms of a contract where you are a party
• a legitimate business interest that is not outweighed by interests you have to protect your information
• consent (which we will ask for before we process your information)
• to comply with a legal obligation
We may process your personal information in ways that are not set out above. Where this is the case, if needed, we will provide a supplemental privacy notice that explains such use. Please ensure you read any supplemental notice in conjunction with this Privacy Notice.
WHO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH AND FOR WHAT PURPOSES
We may share your personal information with:
• service providers
We may share your personal information with service providers to provide services and to monitor and analyze the use of our Site. These third parties are obligated to comply with applicable data protection laws.
We may share your personal information with our partners to offer you certain products, services or promotions.
• other users
When you share your personal information or interact in the public areas with other users, such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed.
• other third parties where required by law
We may share your personal information with other parties where required or permitted by law, including regulatory authorities, government departments, law enforcement authorities or other government officials.
We may also share your information with other parties when you have consented to us doing so.
WHERE YOUR INFORMATION MAY BE SENT
Your personal information may be transferred globally. If your information is collected within the European Economic Area (“EEA”), this means that your information may be transferred outside of the EEA.
When using information as described in this Privacy Notice, your personal information may be transferred either within or outside the country or territory where it was collected, including to a country or territory that may not have equivalent data protection standards.
In all cases, where we transfer your personal information outside the EEA, the transfer will be on the basis of a European Commission adequacy decision, or subject to appropriate safeguards. Appropriate security measures for the protection of your personal information will be applied in those countries or territories, in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
We implement appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect personal information that we store from unauthorised disclosure, use, alteration, or destruction. Where appropriate, we use encryption and other technologies to secure the information you provide. We also restrict access and require that our service providers comply with data privacy and security requirements. Data transmission over public networks cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure, so you use the Site at your own risk
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION
We will retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice. The period will vary depending on the purposes for which your personal information has been collected. When we no longer have a need to keep your information, we will delete or anonymize it. Note that we may need to keep certain personal information in some circumstances such as when you unsubscribe or opt out from a communication and we need to keep a record to ensure we do not communicate again or if we are legally required to retain your information.
YOUR RIGHTS CONCERNING YOUR INFORMATION
You may have the following rights with respect to your personal information:
• to request us to confirm whether or not we process any of your personal information, and, where we do, the right to access your information
• to request us to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information
• to request us to erase your personal information, in certain circumstances (for example, where the information we hold is no longer necessary to the purposes for which we use it)
• to request us to restrict our use of your personal information in certain circumstances (for example, where you believe the personal information we hold about you is not accurate)
• to object to our use of your personal information in certain circumstances (for example, if we use information about you for direct marketing)
• to withdraw your consent to our use of your personal information going forward
• to data portability, in certain circumstances (where you have provided data to us and we use that data, by automated means)
• to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority in your country; you can find contact details for authorities in the EEA here [https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/about-edpb/members_en]; if you have any such concerns, we request that you initially contact us at the email address below so that we can investigate, and hopefully resolve, your concerns
Any request to exercise one of these rights will be assessed by us on a case-by-case basis. There may be circumstances in which we are not legally required to comply with your request because of relevant legal exemptions or other reasons.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Our Site may contain links to other websites that are not operated by us. If you follow a link to a third party’s website, we advise that you review their privacy notice. We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy notices or practices of any third-party websites or services.
Our Site is not directed to anyone under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected personal information from anyone under the age of 18 without verification of parental consent, we will remove that information from our servers.
WHO YOU SHOULD CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS
If you have any questions, or wish to exercise any of your rights, please email us at email@example.com.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
We may update this Privacy Notice (and any supplemental privacy notice), from time to time. We will notify you of the changes where required by law to do so.
Last modified June 9, 2022.
A cookie is a small text file that is saved on your computer or mobile device when you visit our Site. It allows our Site to remember your activities and preferences (such as login, language, font size, and other display preferences), to track information, and to improve and analyze our Site. Personal information (as described in our Privacy Notice) acquired through the cookies used on our Site will be processed based on your consent collected using the cookie banner displayed on our Site. Such consent can be withdrawn at any time by contacting us as set out in our Privacy Notice.
We may use the following cookies and tracking technologies on our Site:
• Cookies or browser Cookies (as described above)
• Flash Cookies
Certain features of our Site may use local stored objects (or Flash Cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences or your activity on our Site. Flash Cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as those used for Browser Cookies. For more information on how you can delete Flash Cookies, please read “Where can I change the settings for disabling, or deleting local shared objects?” available at https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/disable-local-shared-objects-flash.html#main_Where_can_I_change_the_settings_for_disabling__or_deleting_local_shared_objects_
• Web Beacons
Certain sections of our Site and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of a certain section and verifying system and server integrity).
First party cookies are cookies set by the website you are visiting. Only that website can read them. A website might potentially use external services, which also set their own cookies. These are known as third-party cookies.
Cookies can be “Persistent” or “Session” Cookies. Persistent Cookies remain on your personal computer or mobile device when you go offline, while Session Cookies are deleted as soon as you close your web browser.
We may use both Session and Persistent Cookies for the purposes set out below:
• Necessary Cookies
Purpose: These cookies are essential to provide you with services available through the website and to enable you to use some of its features. They help to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts. Without these cookies, the services that you have asked for cannot be provided, and we only use these cookies to provide you with those services.
Note: it is not possible to opt-out of Necessary Cookies
• Functionality Cookies
Purpose: These cookies allow us to remember choices you make when you use the website, such as remembering your login details or language preference. The purpose of these cookies is to provide you with a more personal experience and to avoid you having to re-enter your preferences every time you use our Site.
• Performance Cookies
Purpose: We use Google Analytics Cookies to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of our Site which helps in delivering a better user experience for our visitors.
• Analytical Cookies
Purpose: These cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with our Site. These cookies help provide information on metrics, the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.
• Advertisement Cookies
Purpose: These cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant promotions and marketing campaigns. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads.
Cookie Notice does not cover third-party websites
If we include links to other websites, please note that they may have their own privacy and cookie notices that will govern the use of any information you submit. We recommend that you read their notices as we have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy notices or practices of any third-party web sites or services.
You may refuse to accept cookies by altering the settings on your internet browser. For further information about how to do so, please refer to your browser ‘help’ section or see www.allaboutcookies.org. Please note that if you adjust your internet browser settings to refuse the setting of cookies, you may be unable to access or use fully certain parts or functionality of our Site.
Changes to the Cookie Notice
We may update this notice occasionally and we encourage you to review the notice from time to time to stay informed of how we are using cookies.
If you have any questions about this Cookie Notice, please contact us as indicated in our Privacy Notice.
Last modified June 9, 2022.