The UHNW Institute’s December Monthly Theme: Leading with Legacy
Every month, The UHNW Institute identifies a new theme to highlight, steering our content and programming. For December, we explore the theme of Leading with Legacy, with an assortment of resources to help you deepen your knowledge and understanding of this compelling topic.
Reflecting on last month, we hope you enjoyed The UHNW Institute’s 3rd Annual Symposium in New York City. In addition to excellent content and thought leadership on Integrated Wealth Management, we had an opportunity to connect with peers, make new friends, and meet member colleagues. For those unable to attend, we invite you to view the soon-to-be-available session recordings within the Resource Library.
Now, as we prepare for the holidays, we encourage you to give quality time and space to your own family and friends and join us for a virtual roundtable on Thursday, December 7, from 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. ET, as we explore Leading with Legacy: Discovering the Voice & Shared Purpose of the Multigenerational Family. By attending, you will discover ways firms are connecting family stories to purpose and extending legacy beyond the wealth creator to capture future generations. We also recommend joining our upcoming Practice Management Clinic on Technology on Wednesday, December 13.
In support of December’s theme, we encourage you to explore our Resource Library for related topics on legacy, including a selection of books, articles, podcasts and our new Resource Toolkit — a monthly theme-based selection of tools that align with our featured content, highlighted below.
Please enjoy the following tools and resources for members to explore this month to help deepen their knowledge and understanding of this compelling topic.
- Podcast by Tom McCullough featuring Thayer Willis – Wealth of Wisdom, Episode 35 – What Are the Key Considerations in Crafting Your Legacy?
In this episode, Tom McCullough discusses how to craft your legacy with Thayer Willis. Thayer emphasizes the importance of identifying and clarifying your values, exemplifying them in your priorities and effectively communicating these crucial topics with your heirs.
- Podcast by Keith Whitaker featuring Don Opatrny and Keith Michaelson – Wealth of Wisdom, Episode 64 – Using the Ikigai Model to Foster a Legacy of Meaningful Engagement
In this episode, Keith Whitaker interviews Don Opatrny and Keith Michaelson on Using the Ikigai Model for a Legacy of Meaningful Engagement. They explore finding purpose through the Ikigai Diagram, discussing how directing family resources to Ikigai exploration can foster character, competence and contribution in life.
- Book by Amy Hart Clyne and Dennis T. Jaffe– Finding Her Voice and Creating a Legacy: Portraits of Pioneering Women Leading Wealthy Families
Authors Amy Hart Clyne and Dennis T. Jaffe share universal and profound stories from a unique group of women navigating triumphs, tribulations, fortunes, and legacies. Finding Her Voice & Creating a Legacy provides key insights for current and future female leaders in family enterprises, covering marriage, motherhood, family roles, wealth, business perspectives and the role of advisors in family legacy.
- Article by Lori Z. Roux – The UHNW Institute, 2023 – Bridging the Gap: How a Family Documentary Educates Rising Generations
Crafting a family documentary encourages value-sharing and collaboration while immortalizing the stories of aging members strengthens family bonds across generations. This article outlines the benefits and provides easy steps to initiate the preservation of family histories.
- Article from Strategic Philanthropy, 2018 – Leaving a Philanthropic Legacy
This article explores how legacy planning is essential for philanthropic individuals. Discover how advisors should proactively develop a charitable legacy plan with clients to honor their wishes after death.
- Report from KPMG, 2021 – The Enduring Legacy of Business Families
This report, part of the 2019 KPMG/STEP Project global study, explores the legacy of successful family enterprises. It highlights the importance of family legacy in maintaining generational alignment and emphasizes the need for continuous updates with each new generation.
- Video by The UHNW Institute, 2022 – Importance of EQ in the Family-Advisor Relationship
At the 2022 UHNW Institute Symposium, filmmaker Dr. Rick Stevenson highlighted the importance of emotional intelligence in personal storytelling, sharing key ingredients for effective communication among advisors, family members and teams.
- Artifact: Personal podcasting to communicate your story.
- Artifcts: A digital platform to organize and preserve memories, capturing the meaning behind objects through secure documentation and sharing of their history and life moments.
- Biograph: Transform your voice into stories, offering a platform for sharing, building searchable collections, connecting with friends, and participating in a revolutionary storytelling experience.
- Legacies in Ink: Preserves multigenerational family stories and business histories in limited-edition heirloom books.
- Life Legacy Cards by Personal Legacy Advisors: Facilitate family discussions on legacy, inheritance, personal values, and harmony by offering conversation starters akin to values exercise cards to encourage deeper communication and connection.
- StoryFile: Conversational video technology that captures your story in perpetuity.
- StoryQ: Guides you in connecting the dots of your life through expertly guided personal film interviews, offering a deeper understanding and authority over your ever-unfolding story.
- StoryWorth: Preserve meaningful moments and memories in a beautiful keepsake book.
- Whole Story Productions: Creates custom family legacy video biographies.
If you have any questions about this month’s theme or are interested in joining The UHNW Institute, please do not hesitate to contact us.