Roundtable Replay: Is There a Remedy for Truth Decay? Understanding the Global, Multigenerational Communication Breakdown
Fake Twitter accounts, weaponized content, manipulated videos and new sources of trusted information have jolted us far past the “fake news” woes from the pandemic onset. “Truth decay” and “information disorder,” which are terms coined to capture the diminishing role that facts and data play in our political and not-so-civil discourse, may be the result of technology and social media’s rising influence, but are they our new normal?
To help answer this question and provide insight into how to overcome the global communication breakdown, Deb Roy, director of the MIT Center for Constructive Communication, and Leonora Z. Williamson, founder of Platinum Rule Advisors, joined The UHNW Institute for a special roundtable discussion on this thought-provoking topic. During their conversation, they discussed how technology and social media are changing the way we digest information, its implications and a path toward more effective communication across all generations.
Some of the specific questions addressed during this event included:
- How are communication styles changing, both quantitively and qualitatively, and how is it impacting affluent families?
- What role does technology play in polarization and communication breakdown amongst family members?
- How can understanding ‘truth decay’ and information disorder serve advisors of multigenerational families?
- How does information disorder impact the wealth management industry?
- How are sources of information, such as news, shifting from Boomers to Generation X to Millennials and now Generation Z? What are the implications?
- How do we begin to bridge the generational communication gap in addition to the existing generational gaps?
- Is effective communication still possible in our polarized, social media-fed world?
The video replay from this roundtable event is available for UHNW Institute members in the member portal here.
If you are interested in learning more about joining, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Meet the Panelists:
Moderator – Dune Thorne, Chief Strategy Officer at Brown Advisory and Advisory Board & Faculty Member at The UHNW Institute
Panelist – Deb Roy, Professor of Media Arts and Sciences at MIT, Director, MIT Center for Constructive Communication, and a Visiting Professor at Harvard Law School.
Panelist – Leonora Z Williamson, Founder and CEO of Platinum Rule Advisors
Additional Resources on the Current Communication Breakdown:
For more information about how to navigate tough conversations, click here.
For more information about visualizing the spread of true and false news on social media, click here.
For more information about how words originate, click here.
For more information about the human side of family businesses, click here.